Get the Facts About Asylum
Ever felt besieged by myths, misconceptions and fibs about asylum seekers? Ever heard something about refugees and thought, “That’s just not true!”, but not found the words to say anything?
If you’ve ever wanted to speak up for people seeking safety, Refugee Action’s handy refugee awareness booklets can help.
“Money, Mobiles and Mayhem” includes everything you need to know about asylum – from how much support asylum seekers get, to which country hosts the most refugees (hint: it’s not the UK).
“Make Your Neighbourhood Nicer” is full of simple ways to make your community a more welcoming place for refugees. Organising events, starting campaigns, collecting donations, speaking up – it’s all in there, just waiting for you to get started.
And, when you’re full to the brim with facts and inspiration, here’s what you can do next:
- Tell your friends why you support asylum seekers. You could even cook up a feast for World Food Night and tell them then.
- Pass on your “Money, Mobiles and Mayhem” and “Make Your Neighbourhood Nicer” booklets to a friend. If you’ve got lots of friends, you can order some more.
- Be brave and give a talk about refugees at your school, youth club, work place or faith group. If you’re near a Refugee Action office, our Supporter Development Officers (SDOs) can help you do this.
- Host or take part in a fundraising event – and make sure you’ve got plenty of booklets to hand around.
- If you’re lucky enough to be in Liverpool, give Shared Awareness a call. They run brilliant awareness-raising sessions all over the city.
- Use Facebook and Twitter to let us know about the great work you’re doing.
- And – if you’re really keen – read up on Refugee Action’s Policy and Campaigning work to find out what we’re doing to bust myths and make the UK a more welcoming place.