Full time – 35 hours per week (with flexible working option)
We are looking for a committed and motivated individual to join us as Policy and Research Manager, playing a key role in our Campaigns Team at an important period for Refugee Action. There has never been a more crucial time to stand up to the injustice facing refugees and people seeking asylum in the UK.
Refugee Action is a national charity with more than 40 years’ experience of empowering people who’ve survived some of the world’s worst regimes to secure the protection and support that they need to live with dignity and respect and build a new life in the UK. We do this through securing systemic change through our campaigns to change government policies, our direct services, and our work to strengthen and connect other service delivery organisations.
In all our work we are committed to do far more to learn from and shift power to refugees and people seeking asylum, as well as striving to be an actively anti-racist organisation. Both of these commitments are a top priority for our CEO, as set out in his public statement on Twitter here
As Policy and Research Manager you will lead our policy and research work across the organisation. This will be informed by close working with frontline services and partners, and with a particular focus on work to support our public campaigns. Throughout, you will play a key role in supporting us to be an actively anti-racist organisation and to continue with our organisational commitment to shift power to refugees and people seeking asylum.
We’re seeking someone with a strong track record in research and policy analysis and development, and experience of this in relation to frontline services and public campaigns. You will also have: insight into the needs, experiences and hopes of refugees and people seeking asylum, and the ability to work with people from a range of different cultures; and a commitment to cultural diversity, anti-racism and equality and inclusion, with experience of putting this commitment into practice in your work. In addition, you will have:
• At least three years’ experience working in a policy co-ordination or policy management post;
• Experience in developing, delivering and managing policy and research projects in pursuance of policy and campaign objectives, working with campaigns teams to use such projects to form the basis of public campaigning and to inform media, digital, fundraising and other work;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to write accessible reports and briefings and represent an organisation externally at senior levels;
• Ability to work closely with Refugee Action service delivery colleagues and clients to collect data and case studies, ensuring our work is informed by the experience of Refugee Action’s clients;
• Ability to build positive relationships with external stakeholders for the purpose of partnership working;
• Excellent planning and organisational skills with the ability to oversee complex schedules and meet deadlines.
Those with lived experience as a refugee are strongly encouraged to apply.
We want to make sure that we reach as many potential candidates as possible and that we make the process very accessible. As part of this, we will be running an information session (two dates are available) where potential candidates can come and find out more about the role, the work of the Campaigns Teams and the application process. We hope the sessions will be useful but you do not need to attend in order to apply.
Session 1: Thursday 14th July 3pm to 4pm
Please register to join here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAvdOGrqTMiH9LqqKvXyVas5yiTfsvnM13a
Session 2: Thursday 21st July 3pm to 4pm
Please register to join here:
If you are unable to join an information session or have particular points you would like to discuss privately, the recruiting manager (Mariam Kemple Hardy – Head of Campaigns) is very happy to be contacted at: MariamK@refugee-action.org.uk
If you have any queries regarding the process and application, please send an email to email@example.com
Closing date: 23:59 Monday 15th August 2022
Interviews: Thursday 8th September July 2022 on Zoom
Advice on completing your application