Full time -35 hours per week
Contract-Fixed term end of December 2023
About Refugee Action
We are a national charity with more than 40 years’ experience of empowering people who’ve survived some of the world’s worst regimes to secure the protection and support that they need to live with dignity and respect and build a new life in the UK. We do this by providing expert advice and casework, building the capacity of partner organisations and campaigning on the policies that affect them.
About the team
The CARE team sits within our national Asylum Services and provides advice, information and advocacy for people in the asylum support system. We are a vital lifeline for people experiencing homelessness, delays in accessing their rights around support, and where the support provided is inadequate to meet their needs. We have a holistic approach shaped by the needs of the people we work with, and a strong emphasis on partnership working.
We’re looking for the committed, compassionate and motivated Project Coordinator to work in a supportive culture that values collaboration, diversity, and empowerment. Reporting directly to the CARE Project Manager you will:
Coordinate the effective service delivery and provide asylum support advice, deliver complex casework and legal advocacy to ,and for destitute asylum seekers in Birmingham, Stoke and Coventry in order to facilitate access to accommodation and support, as well as supporting a team of volunteers and students to work with clients, professionally and effectively, both remotely and face to face.
You will work alongside colleagues according to the Asylum Crisis service standards (expert and professional; welcoming; tenacious; holistic and joined-up; committed to systemic change; and committed to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults) to deliver an outstanding level of service and achieve positive outcomes for our service users.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
• Detailed working knowledge of the asylum support system, law and policies and recent experience of providing advice around the asylum process and related support entitlements
• Experience of recruiting, training and supporting a team of volunteers in an advice project or service
• Excellent spoken and written communication skills and experience in presenting clear and accurate advice and producing written documents to present evidence, advocate and negotiate on behalf of clients
• Understanding of the impact of working with people in a situation of transition and uncertainty, and of appropriate ways of handling that impact at work
• Ability to plan and manage workload within tight timeframes including case management experience
• Understanding of the strategic importance of good data recording and commitment and demonstrable ability to good practice in this area
• Experience of working in partnership with other professionals in support of clients, particularly in relation to their claim for asylum
Please contact Berna Djinaj at BernaD@refugee-action.org.uk if have any questions about this vacancy or if you would like to speak with the recruiting manager.
If you have any queries regarding the process and application, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Those with lived experience as a refugee are strongly encouraged to apply.
Closing date: 23:59 Sunday 14 August 2022
Interviews: Friday 19 August 2022 on zoom
Advice on completing your application