Skip to main content


The Care Act 2014 defines safeguarding as protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect and sets out a legal framework for how local authorities and other agencies should protect adults at risk of abuse or neglect. The Children’s Act 1989 underpins child safeguarding legislation and incorporates all actions that protect children from abuse and maltreatment. It also promotes the prevention of harm to health or development and acting to enable best outcomes for children.

Refugee Action Policies

Refugee Action’s Safeguarding policies provide an explanation of how we approach Safeguarding in our organisation.  They also provide an explanation of the frameworks we have in place to ensure that we hold Safeguarding at the front and centre of all of our work with clients.

Refugee Action Safeguarding Adults Policy

Refugee Action Safeguarding Children Policy

Who can help?

If you are worried about your safety or the safety of a child or vulnerable adult there are services and organisations who may be able to help you.  This help may be in the form of information; explaining your rights and responsibilities; advocacy or putting you in touch with the right people.

Remember, if you or someone else is in immediate danger, you can contact the Emergency services:

Police/Ambulance/Fire service

  • Call 999
  • Tell the operator your name.
  • Tell them your address or your location.
  • Tell them which service you need.
  • Tell them if you need an interpreter and which language and dialect you speak.
  • Tell them what is happening and why you need immediate help.


If you want to report a crime or incident but you are not in immediate danger, you can also contact the police on a different number:

  • Call 101
  • Tell the operator your name.
  • Tell them your address or your location.
  • Tell them if you need an interpreter and which language.
  • Tell them what has happened and why you need help.


We all have a duty to protect children.  If you are worried that a child is at risk of harm or believe they are not safe from abuse or neglect, or if you think they could come to harm for any other reason, you can contact the children’s social care team in your Local authority.

You can report a concern through a webform, by email or by telephone. The Children’s Social Care team will assess the information they receive and make a decision on the next steps, which will usually involve an assessment of the needs of the children.

Research has shown that children in families who receive Early Help services quickly and from professionals that they have a relationship with achieve better outcomes.

For more information on keeping children safe, you can visit the NSPCC or Barnardo’s websites

Domestic Abuse

Women’s Aid define domestic abuse as an incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening, degrading and violent behaviour, including sexual violence, in the majority of cases by a partner or ex-partner, but also by a family member or carer. It is very common.

Information on what to do if you are worried about someone knowing what you have looked at online

National Domestic Abuse helpline offers free and confidential advice, 24 hours a day on 0808 2000 247.

Muslim Women’s network 0800 999 5786

Men’s Advice line 08088 010 327

Mental health and suicidal ideation

If you are struggling with your mental health or having thoughts of harming yourself,  talk to your GP who can refer you into NHS help.  If you are in mental health crisis, you can access emergency mental health support through your local NHS urgent Mental health helpline or emergency services. If you also have a physical injury, always call an ambulance.


Mind are a specialist Mental health charity, who can provide information and resources on  planning for mental health crisis, provide information advice and support for anyone struggling with their mental health and those supporting them; Mind: How to cope with suicidal feelings, Papyrus and Staying Safe from Suicidal thoughts.


Some people find it useful to talk to specially trained listeners when they are feeling low:

Samaritans 116 123

CALM: Campaign Against Living Miserably 0800 58 58 58

ChildLine 0800 1111

Papyrus: Prevention of Young Suicide 0800 068 41 41

SANE 0300 304 7000

BOLOH 0800 151 2605