Do you want to be a part of our team of community fundraisers? Organise fundraising events for Refugee Action in your local community, and stand in solidarity with refugees.
What is the role?
We are looking for passionate individuals to organise events and fundraisers in their local area throughout the year. Our fundraising ambassadors help us achieve our vision by raising vital funds for Refugee Action, and you will be playing a crucial part in the Refugee Action story. By organising events for us in your community, you will be raising critical funds to keep our projects running. You’ll also be raising awareness of refugee issues, and taking a stand against the damaging rhetoric that surrounds people seeking safety in our society.
We ask our fundraising ambassadors to aim to raise £1,000 for Refugee Action over the course of a year. These funds can be raised through a series of small fundraising events, for example cake sales, bucket collections or supper clubs. Alternatively, you could organise one or two larger events per year, such as a pub quiz, cocktail evening or a charity gig.
The fundraising ambassador takes responsibility for all elements of their fundraising activity such as deciding on a venue, promoting the event, ensuring it’s safe and sending the money raised to us. We ask you to be an advocate for our work within your community and represent us in a positive and professional manner. You will be supported throughout by a member of our fundraising team, who will keep you updated on our work and give you support in planning your events.
What we can offer you
- A Refugee Action welcome pack, including fundraising tips and information on our work
- Personal support from our fundraising team to help you plan your events
- Access to our branded merchandise
- Our twice-yearly supporter newsletter, Your Action.
- An opportunity to make a difference to the lives of refugees and people seeking asylum in the UK
- A reference after 12 months of volunteering
What are we looking for in a Fundraising Ambassador?
- Someone with a passion for refugee issues and an understanding of Refugee Action’s work
- Someone who is confident to organise and lead on fundraising events – but remember we’ll be there to support you too!
- Someone who is enthusiastic and can commit to the volunteer role for at least one year
- Someone 18 years old or over. Unfortunately, we’re unable to offer this opportunity to anyone younger than 18 years old at the moment
Expectations of the role
- Commitment to the role of Fundraising Ambassador for at least a year
- Commitment to raising £1,000 for Refugee Action over a 12-month period. This will involve developing a plan with your contact at Refugee Action to help you achieve this
- Regular communication with your contact at Refugee Action to discuss how you are getting on and any support you might need
- Adhering to our cash handling guidelines and ensuring that any money raised is paid into Refugee Action promptly after each event
To apply for the role
As this role involves representing Refugee Action to the general public, as well as handling cash, we ask for a character reference from you as part of your application. This can be from current or past employers, your school or university or other professional contacts. If you have any queries or need further clarifications before applying, please contact Rebecca: RebeccaP@Refugee-Action.org.uk
After you have made your application we will arrange an informal chat with you, to tell you more about the role and volunteering with Refugee Action.